Insights and resources for learning managers and educators on creating and nurturing communities. By: Eva Ponce and Arthur Grau The dramatic growth in online professional education owes much to the convenience and flexibility of the virtual classroom. However, a...
A surge in the number of registrants and verified learners in the MITx MicroMasters® Program in Supply Chain Management attests to the increasing appeal of online education during the Covid-19 pandemic. The numbers also suggest that supply chain management — a subject popularized by the pandemic — is attracting a growing number of virtual learners.
We aim to better understand learner engagement in massive open online education in Supply Chain Management by applying learning analytics. MOOC learners can be categorized into three distinct groups: Learners, Voyeurs, and Zombies.
Join our Newsletter
Want to stay engaged with our lab and content? Sign up to receive our newsletter with updates about our research, events, and much more.
- Borrella, I., Caballero-Caballero, S., Ponce-Cueto E., (2022). Taking action to reduce dropout in MOOCs: Tested interventions. Computers & Education. Vol. 179, Issue 104412, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2021.104412
- Ponce, E., Grau, A. Why online practitioner communities are a valuable professional resource. Medium Blog. April 2021 – https://medium.com/mitsupplychain/why-online-practitioner-communities-are-a-valuable-professional-resource-f5009071c260
- Ponce, E., Srinath, S., Allegue, L. Integrating Community Teaching in MOOCs. L@Scale / eMOOCs, 22-24 June, 2021, Online Conference, pp. 95- 109 – https://publishup.uni-potsdam.de/opus4-ubp/frontdoor/deliver/index/docId/51030/file/emoocs2021.pdf
- Ponce, E. Invited speaker at SCN Summit: Workforce Development. April 2021
- Ponce, E. Invited speaker at AWESOME Transformative Leadership Panel. May 2021
- Ponce, E. Invited speaker at MITili Grant-Funded Research – Converting zombies into learners: Improving MOOC learner retention. Nov, 2021 – Temp video: https://vimeo.com/652996561/136e80cd88
- Ponce E., Caplice, C. (2020). Covid-Driven Shift to Online Education Fuels Supply Chain MicroMasters Growth. SupplyChain24/7. 17 November 2020. View Online
- Ponce E., Caplice, C. (2020). Covid-Driven Shift to Online Education Fuels Supply Chain MicroMasters Growth. Published at Medium blog on October 28, 2020. View Online
- Ponce, E. (2020). The Power of Online Education: How Two Supply Chain Professionals Mapped Their Paths. Supply Chain 247. March 10, 2020. View Online
- Ponce, E. (2020). Omnichannel Education: The Learning Revolution. Supply Chain 247. January 30, 2020. View Online
- Ponce, E. (2019). Omnichannel Education: Are You Ready for the Challenge? Supply Chain Management Review, December 10, 2019. View Online
- Ponce, E. (2019). Omnichannel Education: Are You Ready for the Challenge? Published at Medium blog on December 9,2019. View Online
- Ponce, E. (2019). Online Learning and Blended Education in SCM. 90 minutes presentation at the Teaching/Pedagogy Track 2019. POMS (Production and Operations Management Society) 27th Annual Conference, Washington D.C., May 2-6.
- Ponce, E. (2019). DSI (Decision Sciences Institute Annual Meeting) 50th Annual Conference – Innovative Teaching Track – The Omni-channel of course delivery – conventional, online, MOOCs, hybrid/blended, and the premium each can offer – New Orleans, LA. November 23-25.
- Borrella, I.; Caballero-Caballero, S., Ponce-Cueto, E. (2019). Predict and Intervene: Addressing the Dropout Problem in a MOOC-based Program. Learning @Scale 2019, Chicago, June.
- Ponce-Cueto, E., Caplice, C. (2019). MicroMasters are Different: Lessons from the first MicroMasters Program. eMOOCS conference. Naples. May 20-22.
- Bateman, A., Ponce-Cueto, E., Caplice, C. (2019). Exploring the Use of Open Response Questions in a MOOC setting to Increase Student Application of Course Concepts. LINC Workshop. June 17.
- Ponce-Cueto, E., Caplice, C. (2019). How to ensure academic integrity in a MicroMasters program. LINC Workshop. June 17.
- Ponce, E. (2018). Innovations in Online Learning: Benefits and Costs of Alternative Credentials. Webinar – Columbia University – Office of Digital Learning. MIT. Cambridge, USA. September 13, 2018.
- Ponce, E. (2018). Online Learning and Blended Education in SCM. Teaching/pedagogy track 2018. POMS (Production and Operations Management Society) 27th Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 6-9.
2017 & Previous Years
- Ponce-Cueto, E. (2017). How to Deliver a Massive, Rigorous, and Proctored Comprehensive Final Exam. MITx SIG Event. MIT. Cambridge, USA. December 15, 2017.
- Ponce-Cueto, E. (2017). MITx MicroMasters Credential in Supply Chain Management. Exploring the Digital Credentialing Harvard Business Publishing. Cambridge, USA. October 26, 2017.
- Ponce-Cueto, E. (2017). MITx MicroMasters in Supply Chain Management. An innovative Program. International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA). Zurich, Switzerland. April 1, 2017.
- Ponce-Cueto, E. and Rice J.B. (2016). How MOOCs can raise a company’s IQ and increase competitiveness. Supply Chain Management Review, September 1. View Online